Combination drug used to treat high blood pressure not effectively controlled by monotherapy.
Amlodipine: Falls under Calcium Channel Blocker. Inhibits the transport of calcium and vascular smooth muscle cells resulting in inhibition of excitation-contraction coupling and subsequent contraction.
Losartan: Falls under Angiotensin Receptor Blocker. Blocks the vasoconstrictor and aldosterone-secreting effects of Angiotensin II at various receptor sites, including vascular smooth muscle and the adrenal glands.
- Absorption: Well absorbed after oral administration (64-90)%
- Distribution: Protein Binding is (95-98) % . Crosses the placenta.
- Metabolism/Excretion: Mostly metabolized by liver
- Half-Life: 30-50 hr
- Absorption: Well absorbed but undergoes extensive first-pass hepatic metabolism, resulting in 33 % bioavailability
- Distribution: Protein Binding 99%. Crosses the placenta
- Metabolism/Excretion: Undergoes extensive first-pass liver metabolism ,14% is converted to active metabolite.4%excreted unchanged in urine; 6% excreted in urine as active metabolites.
- Half- Life: 2hrs(6-9 hrs for metabolites).
Warning & Precaution
- History of angioedema
- Heart Failure with or without renal failure
- Excessive vomiting & Diarrhoea leading to extreme loss of fluid
- In patient with kidney transplant recently
- Impaired Liver function
Children and Adolescents
Pregnancy Category : C
Breast Feeding : Not recommended